Vegan Macadamia Cheese with Dill
Vegan, Dairy Free & Gluten Free
- 165 grams (approximately 1 1/4 cups) Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts
- 2 1/2 T Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 C reserved macadamia nut water
- 2 T lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 t Cumin
- 1/2 t Garlic powder
- Fresh cracked Pepper
- 2 T Fresh dill, chopped (or more to taste)
- 140 grams (approximately 1 cup) chopped Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts
- Begin by soaking the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts in hot water (~200°F) for up to an hour. (If you’re using chopped macadamia nuts, you may shorten the soak time to 30 minutes.)
- Strain, and reserve the water to the side. Combine all other ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding in the water midway through the blend.
- Once smooth, taste and add pepper and salt to taste. At this point it becomes a bit more of a “Choose Your Adventure” so read ahead and select one of the following options for serving.
- Option 1: Transfer spread to lidded container and chill for 1+ hours prior to serving. This will allow you to serve as a spread, topped with additional fresh dill, pepper, and chopped hazelnuts.
- Option 2: Transfer spread to a cheesecloth suspended over a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 hours. This will strain out any additional liquid and make the cheese more malleable. Serve as a block or should your cheese sit longer than 2 hours, you will be able to roll the cheese in chopped roasted macadamia nuts and serve as a festive cheese ball!
Original Recipe: Bee Talmadge-The Spicy Bee