Macadamia Nut White Chocolate Blueberry Filled Cake
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts (I use Mauna Loa)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cold butter cut into small pieces
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (I use Mauna Loa) for garnish
- 1/4 cup shaved white chocolate
- Whisk blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and cream together in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Cool.
- Prepare crust. Grind 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts and honey in a food processor into a coarse mixture. Work in butter by hand.
- Grease and flour 2 6-inch cake pans. Press crust mixture into bottom of one pan. Bake at 350 for 5 to 6 minutes until mixture starts to set. Remove from oven.
- While crust bakes, mix cake batter. Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Add melted white chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the batter. Mix until smooth.
- Divide batter between the 2 pans. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan before removing to finish cooling on rack.
- While cake bakes, prepare frosting. Whip together powdered sugar, shortening, vanilla, water and white chocolate.
- Assemble cake. Spread 1/2 the blueberry gel on top of the layer with the crust. Top with the other cake layer.
- Frost the cake. Press macadamia nuts into sides of cake. Chill. Top with the rest of the blueberry sauce.
- Finish with shaved chocolate and macadamia nuts.