Macadamia Nut Pesto Chicken Caprese Rolls with Roasted Tomato & Macadamia Nut Pesto Zoodles
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Mauna Loa Dry Roasted Chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets, pounded to about 1/4″ thick
- 2 tomatoes, sliced very thinly, 15-18 slices total
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella, cut in half and into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4-1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 large zucchini, made into noodles
- Chopped basil for garnish, optional
- In a food processor, add the first 4 ingredients (basil through garlic) and pulse until it resembles very fine crumbs. With the processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until desired consistency is reached , making sure to scrape down the sides halfway.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix together the 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper mixture. Spread approx. 1 tablespoon of the pesto on one side of each chicken (Reserve the rest). Top with a couple slices of tomato and a piece or two of mozzarella. Roll each piece of chicken up tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat and when it starts to sizzle, add the rolled chicken and brown, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Add in the sliced cherry tomatoes and pour in 1/4 cup of chicken stock.
- Top each piece of chicken with a little more mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully place pan in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until tomatoes are softened and the chicken is cooked throughout, with an internal temperature of 165F.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven, remove & tent the chicken, and gently stir in 1/2 of the remaining pesto.
- Toss the zucchini noodles into the sauce to coat. If it’s too dry, add in a little more chicken stock.
- Taste and adjust salt/pepper or add more pesto if needed. Return the pan to the stove on medium-high and cook until completely heated throughout.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and top with chopped basil.
- Serve immediately.
Original Recipe from Blake Masser-The Gourmet Peasant