Macadamia Nut Crusted Chicken Salad with a Honey-Mustard Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Grape seed Oil
- 3 Tbsp Minced Shallots
- 1 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 cups of mixed salad greens
- 1 Cucumber sliced
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes or organic mini-tomatoes
- 2 Boneless chicken breast halves (sliced horizontally to make thinner)
- Clear wrap or baggie (to pound the chicken)
Ingredients For Dipping Mixture:
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch
- Juice of ½ of Lemon
- 1 cup course dry bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Mince zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup finely Chopped Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts (Note: The nuts need to be chopped finely enough that they will not fall off of the chicken )
- Saute the shallots in a small pan with a small amount of grape seed oil. Watch them carefully so as not to burn them. A sprinkle of garlic can also be added, if desired.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a bowl and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Place in a glass jar in the refrigerator until ready for serving.
- Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Wait to add the dressing until ready to serve the meal.
- NOTE: Feel free to add any of your favorite salad ingredients at this stage.
- Pound the chicken breasts gently to slightly flatten in a baggie or between clear wrap.
- Blend the eggs, cornstarch and lemon together in a bowl.
- Combine the Ingredients for the crust mixture in a second bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture and then into the dry crust mixture and place on a rack. Once done dipping all the chicken, place the rack into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set crust.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Saute the chicken in oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until the chicken is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on both sides.
- Then put chicken into a baking dish and place in the oven for approximately 8 minutes and test inside temperature (should reach 165 degrees internal temperature).
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once it’s cool, slice and add to salad. You can now dress the salad.
Original recipe from: Dierdre Michalski – Tastes & Travels.