Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce
Makes 6 cups.
- 1¼ cup Mauna Loa Honey Roasted Macadamias, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Flour, all-purpose
- ¾ cup plus 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 Eggs Yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Heat the 1½ cups of the milk until very hot.
- In bowl, mix the flour and sugar with remaining ½ cup milk and stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Pour hot milk slowly into the bowl and stir until smooth.
- Return to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 8 minutes.
- Pour a little of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Stir the egg yolk mixture into the pan and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Strain and cool.
- Once cooled, add 2 cups heavy cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and salt. Chill. (This can be done the day or days before and chilled overnight).
- Freeze in you ice cream maker and watch closely as ice cream begins to harden. (Varies upon ice creme maker but usually around 15 minutes or so).
- Slowly add the Mauna Loa Honey Roasted Macadamias into the ice cream maker and blend so nuts are throughout the ice cream. Freeze.
- To make whipped cream whip 1 cup of heavy cream with sugar (2-3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla).
- Serve with Mauna Loa Dry Roasted Chopped Macadamias Salted Caramel Sauce and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. As an extra sip, lightly sprinkle flaky sea salt on top.
- This recipe can be made in advance.
- Not enough time? Purchase a jar of caramel or butterscotch sauce, heat and pour over ice cream before serving. Sprinkle more Mauna Loa Honey Roasted Macadamias on top.