Blueberry Coffee Cake
Makes 8 to 12 servings
- 1 cup Mauna Loa Dry Roasted Chopped Macadamias
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Butter, cold, cut into tablespoons
- ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs, large, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- Blueberry Topping: 1½ cups Blueberries, ¼ cup Apple Juice, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons Water
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Butter 9-inch spring form pan.
- Blueberry Topping:
- In medium saucepan, add blueberries and apple juice and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook until blueberries release their juices – about 3 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch and water until there are no lumps. Add to saucepan with blueberries and stir until thickened (about 1-2 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Coffee Cake:
- In a food processor (or bowl), mix flour and only ¾ cup of sugar. Add the tablespoons of butter and pulse until they are coarse.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Take ½ cup of flour and butter mixture and set aside.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon peel stirring well into the large bowl of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, vanilla and 1 egg until blended thoroughly.
- Add yogurt mixture into flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Pour into buttered spring-form pan.
- Cream Cheese Filling
- In medium bowl, whip cream cheese, add remaining ¼ cup sugar, remaining egg and lemon juice, mixing until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese filling over batter in pan – leaving a ½ – 1 inch border around batter edge.
- Spread cooled blueberry mixture over cream cheese filling
- Stir Mauna Loa Dry Roasted Chopped Macadamias into the reserved ½ cup flour mixture and sprinkle over top, especially covering the ½ – 1 border.
- Bake until top is golden brown, 30-40 minutes.(Cake should barely jiggle and you can also insert a toothpick into the edges so it comes out clean).
- A spring-form pan is ideal, but you may use a 9-inch cake pan or glass baking dish. (Be sure to lower heat to 325 °F if you use glass and increase baking time).
- This can be made gluten free by using gluten free flour or almond flower.
- House guests? Prepare the day before but assemble the morning with the cream cheese filling and blueberry topping at room temperature.
- We recommend using Greek yogurt due to its consistency. You may use low-fat or non-fat Greek yogurt.