Banana Layer Cake with Macadamia Nut Crunch
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 5 c mashed bananas – about three medium bananas
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c sugar
- 2/3 c water
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
Macadamia Nut Layer
- 3 oz. Mauna Loa dry roasted chopped macadamia nuts
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Caramel Drizzle Topping
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- In bowl of mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating before adding the next one.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, bananas, water, and vanilla.
- In a third bowl, whisk flour with baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding sour cream mixture and flour mixture to the butter and sugar. Make sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Add macadamia nuts, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon to small blender or food processor and whiz until the nuts are more like crumbs than chunks. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9″ spring-form pan.
- Add 2/3 c of cake mix to pan, tilting side to side to cover the whole bottom.
- Bake for approx. 8-10 mins, until layer is cooked.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 tbsp of macadamia mix across cooked layer.
- Add another 2/3 c of cake mix, again tilting side to side to cover previous layer.
- Turn oven to broil (450°F or 233°C), raising the oven rack to the second from top position.
- Cook this new layer under the broiler for approx. 4 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Repeat until you’re out of cake mix, set cakes aside to cool.
- Empty condensed milk into a shallow pan or casserole dish & cover with aluminum foil.
- Sink casserole dish into slightly larger dish, then fill bottom dish almost to the top with water.
- Place whole contraption into a 425°F oven for 90 minutes.
- Set a timer to check the water level every 30 minutes, and add water to the outside pan as needed.
- Carefully remove foil and let cool for 30-45 minutes.
- Pour the cooled caramel over the top of the cake, drizzling some down the sides.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3 oz of Mauna Loa macadamia nuts.
Original recipe from : Dee LeBrilla – Some Days Are Like